Update the validity period of an existing CA template

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:11 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM
I have a 2008 R2 CA and I setup auto enrollment for user certificates. That is working properly. However I need to be able to edit an existing CA template using Powershell.
My goal is run a script on a daily basis to update the validity period for a specific template in order that any request enrolled using that template expires on a specific date, let's say Dec 31st, 2016.
The basic script layout would be as follows.
Request Cert from CA
Compute the number of days remaining for Dec 1st 2016.
Update the CA template validaty period in Days with the days computed in the step above.
In case needed, the script can run in the CA Root server with elevated credentials

Can you confirm if this script can be developed using this PKI module?

Thanks,
M0dest0.
Coordinator
Nov 7, 2015 at 9:16 AM
No, the module do not allow certificate template modification. As I wrote on StackOverflow.com web site, it is not supported to modify certificate templates outside of Certificate Templates MMC snap-in.
Marked as answer by m0dest0 on 11/9/2015 at 11:45 AM
Nov 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM
I've been googling but can't find any reference to this unsupported feature, I'd like go in depth on this issue so please, can you share some links or documentation? Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 9, 2015 at 6:00 AM
This information came from private sources. You may need to contact Microsoft Support to get official information.
Marked as answer by m0dest0 on 11/9/2015 at 11:45 AM